English Language Proficiency Programmes (ELPP)
Students are prepared for discussions and presentations and read, analyse and write expository and argumentative reports and essays. Classes for these mature students will be more interactive and include projects based on visits to cultural centres. Experiential learning will be emphasized. Materials will focus on current issues from readings from National Geographic, newspapers and current affairs from BBC, CNN and local news. Timing of classes have been reduced to 4 hours in the morning, with skill-based tutorials for grammar and speaking in the afternoon. The 6 levels of the old ELPP will be reduced to 3 - two month levels (Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced).
The main objective is to enhance proficiency in the English language so that the course participants can communicate more effectively and efficiently in this language for the fulfillment of their various needs, specifically
- For social interaction with people who use the English language
- To pursue academic activities conducted in the English language
- To be better prepared for taking English language examinations that form part of international study pre-requisites (such as IELTS and TOEFL)
- The course comprises 3 levels:
- The participants will be allocated to the levels based on a placement test.
- Assessment /Evaluation will be based on both course-work (50 percent) and final examination (50 percent).
- Each level will comprise 240 hours student learning time stretched over two months.
The following documents are required when applying for the VDR and applicants are required to submit complete scanned documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org possible:
- One (1) copy of the conditional offer letter from University of Malaya.
- One (1) copy of the highest academic certificate and results; Original and translated. It must be translated in English from the Translation Institute of your country with an authorized and official stamp.
- One (1) passport-sized photo (with white background).
- One (1) set of all the pages in the passport (including blanks) to be copied one sided on A4-sized paper.
- The address of the Malaysian Embassy in your country of origin for the collection of the VDR letter (to be printed on A4-sized paper)
- Student's details: Full name, full address in your own country, address in Malaysia (if any) and phone number.
- For Iranian citizenship: Full name, full address in your own country, and Malaysia (if any), Emergency contact number in Iran and Malaysia.
Once in Malaysia, student MUST CONTACT UMCCed in order to sit for the placement test (click here).
The placement test is important as it places you in different proficiency level of the programme.
The contact details are as follow;
University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education (UMCCed)
Level 7, Wisma R&D University of Malaya,
Jalan Pantai Baharu, 59990 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel : (6)03-2246 3600
Fax : (6)03-2246 3601
E-mail : email@example.com
Total Contacts Hours: 192 hours
The tuition fees for the English Language Proficiency Programme (ELPP) is as follows :
*The Centre reserves the right to amend any part of its published programme that is deemed to be in the best interest of the programme without any notification.
- Lectures; workshops
- Integrated, interactive, learner and learning centred approach
- Audio CDs, DVDs, and Youtube and online activities
- Individual and group presentations
- Individual and group assignments/projects
- Text-Books and hand-outs; extended reading lists
- Field-trips and cultural presentations