English Language Proficiency Programmes (ELPP)
Students are prepared for discussions and presentations and read, analyse and write expository and argumentative reports and essays. Classes for these mature students will be more interactive and include projects based on visits to cultural centres. Experiential learning will be emphasized. Materials will focus on current issues from readings from National Geographic, newspapers and current affairs from BBC, CNN and local news. Timing of classes have been reduced to 4 hours in the morning, with skill-based tutorials for grammar and speaking in the afternoon. The 6 levels of the old ELPP will be reduced to 3 - two month levels (Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced).
The main objective is to enhance proficiency in the English language so that the course participants can communicate more effectively and efficiently in this language for the fulfillment of their various needs, specifically
- For social interaction with people who use the English language
- To pursue academic activities conducted in the English language
- To be better prepared for taking English language examinations that form part of international study pre-requisites (such as IELTS and TOEFL)
- The course comprises 3 levels:
- The participants will be allocated to the levels based on a placement test.
- Assessment /Evaluation will be based on both course-work (50 percent) and final examination (50 percent).
- Each level will comprise 240 hours student learning time stretched over two months.
ELPP & VISA Application
With effect from May 2018, all Pre-Arrival Visa (VAL) applications must go through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS) prior to submission to the Immigration Department of Malaysia. Therefore, please liaise with Visa Unit in UM for Visa Application at email@example.com.
ELPP Payment Method
Prior submission for Visa Application, please make the compulsory enrollment payment amounting USD1, 000 immediately. This payment is for your first level of ELPP and the Placement test.
STEP 1: Do the transaction at any bank (foreign bank) which offers the service of Electronic Transfer Funds.
STEP 2: Scan and send the receipt/transaction slip to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The payment should be in USD. Please bring the original receipt during registration
Information that may be required by the bank:
Bank Swift Code
CIMB BANK BERHAD
University of Malaya Branch
- Student who registered to study ELPP must complete the course until ADVANCED level. Students will sit for the IELTS Exam at the end of the course arranged by UMCCed.
- In the middle of the study, students are not allowed to sit for the IELTS exam on your own. If you have caught taking the IELTS exam without UMCCed’s acknowledgment, your student visa will be terminated by University of Malaya and you are required to go back to your home country.
Once in Malaysia, student MUST CONTACT UMCCed in order to sit for the placement test (click here).
The placement test is important as it places you in different proficiency level of the programme.
The contact details are as follow;
University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education (UMCCed)
Level 7, Wisma R&D University of Malaya,
Jalan Pantai Baharu, 59990 Kuala Lumpur.
Tel : (6)03-2246 3600
Fax : (6)03-2246 3601
E-mail : email@example.com
Total Contacts Hours: 192 hours
The tuition fees for the English Language Proficiency Programme (ELPP) is as follows :
*The Centre reserves the right to amend any part of its published programme that is deemed to be in the best interest of the programme without any notification.
- Lectures; workshops
- Integrated, interactive, learner and learning centred approach
- Audio CDs, DVDs, and Youtube and online activities
- Individual and group presentations
- Individual and group assignments/projects
- Text-Books and hand-outs; extended reading lists
- Field-trips and cultural presentations