Master of Library and Information Science
The Master of Library and Information Science programme aims to produce graduates who have advanced knowledge, skills and values of information professions in Library and Information Science.
- To produce graduates who have advanced knowledge, skills and attributes as information professionals in library and information services.
- To produce graduates who are industry ready for career in contemporary information organisations.
For admission into the Master of Library and Information Science programme, applicants must have at least;
- A Bachelor’s degree with Honours with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 or equivalent; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with work experience of at least three (3) years in a library or an information centre; or
- Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL) with work experience of at least ten (10) years in a library or an information centre; or
- Other qualifications approved by the University Senate.
International applicants are required to have:
At least IELTS 5.5 (Academic) or TOEFL score of 550 (paper based) / 213 (computer based) / 80 (Internet based) if their first degree is from a university where English is not the medium of instruction.
COURSES MODULE = 45 Credit Hours
CORE COURSES (24 Credits) + ELECTIVE COURSES (9 Credits) + RESEARCH PROJECT (12 Credits)
CORE COURSES (24 Credits)
- Organization of Information
- Reference and Information Literacy Services
- Technologies for Information Management
- Digital Libraries
- Libraries, Information and Society
- Development of Information Collection
- Management of Library and Information Services
- Research Methods in Library and Information Science
ELECTIVE COURSES (9 Credit Hours)
Please select three (3) subject elective only:
- Indexing, Abstracting and Thesauri Construction
- Web Publishing
- User Needs and Behavior
- Measurement and Evaluation of Library and Information Services
- Special Topics in Library & Information Science
- Digital Humanities
- Bibliometrics and Scientific Publishing
- Statistics for Library & Information Science Research
RESEARCH PROJECT (12 Credit Hours)
(Note: Not all courses will be offered every semester; the actual courses offered will depend on the availability of staff and the number of students registering).
Fee for local student
Fee for international student
*Subject to approval by the university.
Payment of fees is based on semester subject to the prescribed amount.
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the University of Malaya must fulfill the University's entry requirements as follows:
- Passed the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia subject or a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July paper and pass in History; and
- Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) as required in special requirements of the programme. and
- Fulfilled any of the programme Entry Requirements as below: