Master of Science in Statistic
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, formed in 1998, started off as Department of Mathematics in 1959. Today, it is one of the largest mathematical institutes in Malaysia. The institute aims to:
- Provide quality education and training in various areas of mathematics;
- Nurture talent in the mathematical sciences and to produce graduates with problem-solving abilities to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world;
- Strive for academic excellence via research and the dissemination of knowledge.
The academic staffs of the Institute are engaged in a broad spectrum of mathematical research, ranging from the highly abstract to areas with real-world applications. There is strong collaborations with international institutions such as: University of New South Wales, University of Ljubljana, UC Santa Cruz, Arizona State University, University of Oklahoma, University of Maine, Exeter University, Flinders University, Murdoch University and Northern Territory University, Simon Fraser University, University of Victoria and Jilin University. Apart from being members of several professional organizations, members of the Institute also serve as referees to various international journals.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree with Honors CGPA 3.0 and above or equivalent in the relevant field.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.7 to 2.99 may be considered if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Having relevant work experience; or
- Produce publications in related fields; or
- is a recipient of a scholarship; or
- is a graduate of the University of Malaya; or
- is a government servant
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.5 to 2.69 may be considered if they meet at least two of the criteria in (1) (A) to (E) above
For international students, candidates are required to have TOEFL results at least 550 or IELTS at least Band 5.5.
At the end of the program, graduates with MSc. Statistics are able to:
- Comprehend advanced statistical theory covering statistical and mathematical arguments, proofs and abstract concepts.
- Apply technical and practical skills relating to advanced statistics required in different fields.
- Perform social responsibility with the skills in statistics.
- Practice professionalism and statistical ethics required in different areas such as management and medicine.
- Work in a group as a leader in dealing with statistical tasks.
- Solve statistical problems with scientific experience and skills.
- Use statistics in information management that contributes to lifelong learning.
- Practice efficient and effective management and entrepreneurial skills.
- Program Core Courses (26 CREDITS)
- Program Elective Courses (16 CREDITS)
Fee for local student
Fee for international student
*Subject to approval by the university.
Payment of fees is based on semester subject to the prescribed amount.